Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jet-lag Boredom.

I got home from Thailand around 10am Vancouver time last Tuesday after not sleeping for 48 hours. I was determined to stay up until at least 8pm so I could get into a normal sleeping pattern. What better way to keep yourself awake then by baking muffins! I adore muffins, but they are always so unhealthy (even if they are the devious bran muffin which one would think is healthy!) so I avoid them and eat them rarely.

I came across a recipe for Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Muffins and thought I'd like to try it! They are delicious and don't cost me 400+ calories like their unhealthy counterparts! I even froze some to keep them for my lunches and by the time noon rolls around they are defrosted and still just as tasty!





Ingredients


1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I reduced to less than 1/2 cup and it was sweet enough)
1/2 cup quick oats
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 cup Greek yogurt - plain
1/4 cup skim milk (I used almond milk)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 egg
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 1/2 cups blueberries (I used a mix of berries since that's all I had. I also used frozen but when the blueberry season is in full force I'll try fresh!)


Method


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, brown sugar, oats, and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk together yogurt, milk, oil, egg, and lemon rind. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in frozen berries. Scoop into muffin tin, filling 2/3 full.

3. Bake in center of oven for 30 minutes!


I am still adjusting from my trip. I sleep at the right times, I just get tired much earlier than normal resulting in me waking up far too early too.

As I briefly mentioned in a previous post, Dan's deployment has been cancelled. This means he'll be coming home!! I don't know when he'll be home because paperwork and out-processing have to be completed but I'm crossing my fingers it's not too long! I've been busy cleaning my place because I have a feeling it will be spontaneous! He's trying to get on a course which will take him away from home again for six weeks, but after that, we'll be living like a regular old civilian couple for awhile!

Oh, and I happened to notice that this is my 100th blog post! So happy 100th to me!

3 comments:

Sarah N. said...

Ooh those look yummy! Gonna have to try them. =)

Jamie said...

Yay happy 100th post to you!! The muffins look delicious, I bookmarked the recipe : )

Hoping Dan gets home soon ASAP although I'm sorry he'll be gone for yet another course! I'm sure it will feel like a piece of cake though compared to how long he's currently been gone! Thinking of you! <3

Jessica Lynn said...

YUM, looks delicious!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved