Sunday, April 8, 2012

Pineapple Not-So-Fried Rice.

I sort of thought the Cheesy Broccoli Soup was going to be my favourite recipe from Chloe Coscarelli's cookbook, Chloe's Kitchen. I was wrong. I already have another favourite.


The Pineapple Not-S0-Fried Rice brought me back to my most recent trip to Thailand in 2011. Almost one year ago to the date. I went with my sister to the Chatuchak Weekend Market in Bangkok, where I ordered pineapple fried rice. It was amazing and served in a pineapple which was pretty amazing. Today, I put my serving in a pineapple too! So much fun - it's the small things.


Pineapple Not-So-Fried Rice (adapted from Chloe's Kitchen)


Ingredients:


3 cups cooked rice (I used brown rice but she recommends jasmine)
1 pineapple or 1 1/2 cups diced pineapple
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
sea salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. chili-garlic sauce (or if you're me, you will use WAY more)
3/4 cup cashews (I didn't have any so I used macadamia nuts)
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
1/4 cup vegetable broth


Directions:


In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions until soft and lightly browned. Season with salt. Add garlic, curry, coriander, and chili-garlic sauce. Stir and cook for another minute or two. Add the pineapple, brown rice, vegetable broth, carrot, and cashews. Cook until heated through and adjust salt to taste. If you want to be super fun, serve it in a pineapple shell!


If you're me, you don't read directions well. Clearly. As I was writing this out, I discovered why mine was stodgy - I used 3/4 cup vegetable broth instead of 1/4. Whoops! I still think it's amazing though but don't mind my photo. I'm excited to try it again and do it the right way. Also, the original recipe called for tofu, frozen peas, and raisins but I'm not a fan so I omitted. Delicious recipe! It's a must try.




(Ridiculously excited to finally use my chopsticks from Japan!)

2 comments:

Sarah N. said...

This sounds good! I think you left out part of the directions though--what do you do with the rice, pineapple, and broth?

Bocah Cerdik said...

Your article is very interesting, I liked the article on your blog, it looks like I will frequently visit ... and if you have time please visit and join my blog if you like it, thank you
Http://seosafety.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved