Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bake-N-Blog Unveiled!

I was pretty darn excited to take part in the Bake-N-Blog Jess, over at Jesstagirl and Her Officer, was hosting! Having a reason to bake cupcakes is not necessary but it definitely provided me with some motivation. Each participant chose a cupcake from Ming Makes Cupcakes and they all look fantastic!

I decided to make the Flourless Beet Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped Cream as mentioned previously. These cupcakes are absolutely delicious. They are chocolate-y, rich and amazing. I have never eaten something so moist. Betty Crocker has nothing on me now. I wish I could just sit and eat all twelve. I wasn't alone in my enjoyment. They received rave reviews from everyone who was lucky enough to try one...or two!



Cupcakes really are love. See how these wonderful little cuppy cakes were created:


Puree beets in blender until smooth. Measure 1/2 cup and put aside.



Then, melt 1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips and 3/4 stick of butter using a metal bowl set in a pan of simmering water on low. I used Trader Joe's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Callets and would highly recommend using these. When melted, take off heat and let sit for a few minutes. Afterwards, add the 3 egg yolks and the 1/2 cup pureed beets.

Now, if you're me, this is the point where you realize that you left your eggs at the self checkout. Oopsies. What to do? Call mom, who was with you when shopping, while in a panic and say "did you pick up the eggs?!" At that point, you hear something that sounds like "no" and your phone cuts out. By the time you call your mom (who just so happens to be the best mom ever!) back, she is on her way to the grocery store to buy you another dozen. Sweet, right? Luckiest little baker ever.


While stirring the now melted chocolate, and incessantly licking the chocolate covered spoon, I realized I missed an incredibly important step in the whole baking experience. Wine.


Mom came to the rescue and I added my egg yolks and beets to the melted chocolate goodness!


In a metal bowl, I beat the 3 egg whites until soft peaks formed. Then, I gradually added the 1/4 cup of sugar and continued to beat.


Once the egg white mixture is still and glossy, whisk some of it into the chocolate mixture, and then back into the whites while stirring.



Fill the cupcake liners. Bake at 275 degrees for 35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.


While your cupcakes are baking, put a clean metal bowl along with wire whisks into the freezer to prepare for the whipped cream preparation!


Beat 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream until light and foamy. This will take approximately 3 or 4 minutes. If you'd like some direction on how to whip cream effectively, this may help.

Now, this is a very important step so listen carefully. Lick the delicious whipped cream off of the whisks. You must. Ming obviously didn't feel it was necessary to outline this in her recipe, but really, it's vital.


Mmm, the cupcakes are baking. I was surprised at how voluptuous they were considering they lacked flour. They did fall a little once out of the oven, but not much.



Now, keep calm and have a cupcake!


Enjoy and happy baking!

11 comments:

Sarah N. said...

Ok, I've never had beets but these sound really yummy! Definitely gonna try them sometime! =)

I love all your pictures and the bit about licking beaters! Hahaha I agree that that is a vital part of cake making not included usually and it should be. ;)

Jenny said...

Oooh... these look interesting! I think beets would make good cupcakes :) Maybe they are healthy, too? hehe

Jamie said...

Awwwwww I LOVE the wine and the journal at the end, yay! So cute! Your cupcakes look delicious and definitely different, I never would have thought them up!

I love that your mom came to the rescue and your "oopsies" comment since I say that far too much. And Ryan's always like "Oh no, what did you do?" Hahaha. Great photos too, Ashley!! : )

Abby said...

ok, Im convinced. I will try them. They will be on my list of cupcake endeavors.

ashley said...

My mom said that it was the best chocolate cake/cupcake/dessert she'd ever tasted!

The whipped cream kind of lacked pretties but it was great for them because it helped balance the rich chocolate flavour!

Jessica Lynn said...

LOVED this post! Great, artistic photos, too! I was laughing out loud with the egg fiasco (something I would totally do), licking the beaters (something I definitely do), and drinking wine! So could you taste the beets at all? What a clever cupcake! Thanks for your enthusiasm with this Bake-N-Blog, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

ashley said...

Jess, the odd time you get a bit of beet pulp but you couldn't actually identify that it was beet. Also, the beet juice drizzle on top wasn't noticed either as the chocolate was so strong!

Ali @ His Birdie's Nest said...

Your Mom is the best! I'm not a huge fan of beets, but these looks so good I may have to try then anyway :)

Layla said...

This just really sounds gross to me, but I have to say, your cupcakes look amazing and I'm intrigued!

LeahMarie said...

I love how you took on one of the most strange cupcakes. I would have done the egg thing too. Glad your mom could save you. :) Licking the beaters is essential!!!

Glad you had fun & that they were so yummy!

Cece @ Dill Pickle Picnic said...

I'm curious about these cupcakes now. I am NOT a fan of beets but these look super yummy. Interesting! OH, and I 100% agree about licking beaters!

Post a Comment

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved